The Controller must have solid communication, technology, analytical, and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The role usually requires at least 7 years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance. Previous experience in public accounting is highly valued.
Position Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
- Planning, directing, and coordinating all accounting operational functions.
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of consolidated business results
- Coordinating activities of external auditors
- Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Managing the budget process
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improvement, and implementing new processes.
- Evaluating accounting and internal control systems
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Overseeing regulatory reporting, frequently including tax planning and compliance
- Hiring, training, and retaining skilled accounting staff